LEASE OR BUY?
The choice between buying and leasing has often been a tough call. On one hand, buying involves higher monthly costs, but you own something in the end. On the other, a lease has lower monthly payments, but you get into a cycle where you never stop paying for a vehicle. Now, more people are choosing a lease over a car loan than just a few years ago. And it looks like the boom in leasing isn't stopping anytime soon.
|A lower monthly payment||✔|
|Lower up-front costs||✔|
|No wear and tear restrictions||✔|
|Affordable payments on a vehicle with more options||✔|
|Driving a vehicle during its most trouble-free years||✔|
|Driving you vehicle for many years||✔|
|A new vehicle more often||✔|
|No resale or trade-in obligations||✔|
|Ability to make alterations to the vehicle's appearance||✔|
|In-dealership financing conveniences||✔||✔|
"SHOULD I LEASE" CHECKLIST
Review this helpful checklist to see if leasing your next vehicle is right for you.
- Leasing a new vehicle at a comparable price to purchasing a pre-owned vehicle is appealing.
- I may be able to include more add-on options in my lease vehicle than I might be able to afford if purchasing it.
- I prefer a lower biweekly or monthly payment.
- I like to drive the latest model every few years.
- I drive a predictable amount of kilometers every year every few years.
IS LEASING RIGHT FOR YOU?
Leasing offers affordable payments with shorter terms. This lets you:
- Consider vehicles that have more options
- Trade in your vehicle for the latest model more frequently
- Have peace of mind since most lease terms are within the factory warranty period
FAQ’S about leasing
With a lease, payments may be lower than purchasing the same vehicle, since you only pay for the portion of the vehicle you use over the term of the lease. You can consider vehicles that have more options; trade in your vehicle for the latest model more frequently; and, align the lease term to the vehicle warranty period for greater peace of mind.
The down payment amount for leasing a vehicle varies based on the lease transaction structure and monthly payment you desire, but generally, may be lower than buying.
With a lease, you avoid the potential risk that your vehicle’s value has declined beyond its projected residual value at the end of your lease term.
At the end of term, you have the option to purchase the vehicle or turn it in, subject to the terms outlined in your lease agreement. GM Financial will communicate with you prior to the end of your lease to guide you through the end of lease process.
Leasing may not be for everyone, but for many it’s the right fit. This information is for general information purposes only. For specific limitations, rules and restrictions on any specific financing, contact your dealer.